Frequently Asked Question
Can I use my own domain with Countermail?
Last Updated 3 months ago
Yes, if you have your own domain, you can transfer all email handling to our server.
We can not host web pages for your domain (A-record), we can only host the email handling (MX-record) for your domain.
- You can't register domains through us, you must first do this through a domain registrator, we recommend Active-domain or Namecheap for common TLD names, for more unusal countries (TLDs), we recommend EuroDNS.
- To be able to create a domain user you must first have a premium account
- You purchase the domain option the same way you purchase premum services
- You can purchase multiple domains to a single premium account
Our restrictions for using your own domain:
- We do not allow catch-all addresses, due to abuse. Using a catch-all address is never good, because you will receive much more spam emails. If you need multiple incoming forwarders, you can create aliases for your domain instead of using a catch-all.
- The address email@example.com will always go to Countermail's own abuse-account.
- If your domain DNS MX record does not point to our server, your domain will be deleted from your account within 48 hours. If your domain was deleted, you have to pay again if you still want to use the domain option
- You can not use domains which can be used for Phishing. If you try to use a domain for Phishing, we will close your account permanently.
- If your domain name is very similar to some other well established internet service, it may be removed because of the risk of phishing abuse
- You can not use your domain to send out mass emails outside your domain
- Unsolicited emails cannot be sent to an individual subscriber unless prior permission has been obtained or unless there is a previous relationship between the parties.
The price for using your own domain is a $15 one-time setup fee per domain.
If you want different logins (separate accounts with separate Inboxes and keys) you need to purchase one premium account per login. We have discounts if you buy 5 premium accounts (or more).
As a domain administrator, you can:
- Create unlimited aliases for your own domain, e.g firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enable/disable accounts
- Add/delete Admins
- Add/delete aliases
- View status or your accounts
Domain-alias vs. Domain-user
A domain-alias is a anonymous forwarder to your Countermail account, you can both send and receive email from/to a domain-alias, but it shares the same Login-credentials and share the same Inbox and data, and if you add the domain-alias to your PGP-keypair, it shares the same keypair (optional).
You still login with your normal Countermail account-name. You can create unlimited with domain-aliases. Domain-aliases are free, no extra costs.
You can see your own domain aliases under Settings / Identities.
A domain-user is a separate account under your own domain, the domain-user has its own login-credentials, its own Inbox, and its own keypair. It has no special limitations (as a domain-alias has). It's like a separate premium account. The first 7 days are free, then you need to pay for it, if you want to continue using it. You login with "email@example.com" and with its own password. You can see your domain users under Settings / Domain panel.
If you have a separate domain user, you must login with the full name: "firstname.lastname@example.org" to our webmail.
If you only have domain aliases, you login as usual with your normal Countermail address.
DNS/Domain Setup instructions
Remember that you can't register domains through us, you must first do this through a domain registrator, we recommend Active-domain or Namecheap for common TLD names, for more unusal countries (TLDs), we recommend EuroDNS.
DNS MX record:
Before we can receive mail for your domain, you will need to configure the MX records. Mail Exchanger (MX) records are the part of DNS records which direct email to specific email servers. You can change these through your web host or domain registrars control panel. The MX records for CounterMail is:
Mail server name: db1.countermail.com
Priority level: 10
You should remove all other MX-pointers for your domain, only keeping the above. Changing the MX records will not affect your existing web hosting. It is not necessary to point other DNS records (e.g. A records) to a different IP address, or to transfer existing web hosting.
Please note that you must log out and log in once before the domain will be visible on your account.
These are the steps you need to do after the domain option purchase:
1. Log out from your Countermail account and log in again
2. Go to Settings / Identities and add all domain aliases you want on your domain
3. Login to your Domain registrar, and change the MX record in your domain registrars control panel*
*=sample pictures: ActiveDomain, GoDaddy, EuroDNS
Now you have to wait until the MX-change is finished on your DNS-servers, depending on the DNS-cache, it could take a several hours.
When the MX change is done, all emails will come directly to our server, it will not pass your domain registrator servers.
DNS TXT/SPF record:
You should also add a DNS TXT-record for your domain to avoid that your email ends up in recipients Spam/Junk folder. You add the DNS TXT-record in the same place you added your DNS MX record. Click on the FAQ link below to see how the TXT-record should look like: